Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How far must I travel to warrant tefilat haderech [the traveler's prayer]?

Hi,

The Shulchan Aruch [Orach Chaim 110:7] rules that land travel between cities requires Tefilat haDerech [The Traveler's Prayer] if one travels more than a פרסה - about 4 kilometers / 2.5 miles.

The Mishnah Berurah [110:30] clarifies that this applies to sea travel as well, and that travel of a shorter distance, through an area known to be dangerous, also warrants Tefilat haDerech.

Have a great day,
Mordechai

2 comments:

  1. Good morning,

    As I live in Providence and work in Warwick (about 7 miles), is the halacha suggesting that I would recite tefilat haderech each day on the way to work?

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think not, for several reasons - including the rule that Tefilat haDerech is meant for travel outside urban areas. I-95 from Providence to Warwick passes through/by several towns, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete