Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Reciting Shema audibly

Hi,

We have mentioned that one should carefully enunciate each syllable of Shema, matching the way the Shema is written in the Torah. Ideally, this means that one should enunciate the Shema audibly. [It should be audible to himself, but it should not disturb others.]

The minimum is that one's mouth must form the words; even if he does not hear himself, he fulfills his obligation.

(Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 62:3)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

4 comments:

  1. Good early morning,

    Does the same minimum referred to here also apply to the Amidah? Would it be acceptable, with the Amidah, to move only one's mouth but not to actually hear oneself?

    There is someone who often davens near to me who davens in a very loud "whisper"- so loud that I can hear every syllable of every word from several feet away. I don't know if I am justified in saying something? Perhaps he needs to whisper that loud to "hear" himself. Thoughts?

    Thanks, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    Good questions. You might look at my post here, and the source I cite there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening,

    I looked at your other source. Is it a kol v'chomer then? That is to say, if one is allowed to daven somewhat more loudly on the Yomim Noraim (but still in a way that should not disturb one's members of the tzibbur) certainly one could not disturb other members of the tzibbur at other times? And, if I am reading you correctly, is it reasonable for me to approach this other person (who happens to be a Rav (though not the Rav of the Minyan)? Are there good ways of saying these kinds of things

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think that one should be audible only to one's self during the year. I know you are a very considerate person, and I trust that heartfelt words, expressed with your trademark consideration, will be taken well.

    ReplyDelete