Sunday, September 21, 2014

Eruv Tavshilin as a guest

Hi,

First, a personal request: I would like to take a moment to ask everyone receiving this email/RSS feed for mechilah (forgiveness) for anything hurtful or offensive I wrote, or should have written and did not, in the past year. I know that people's sensitivities are varied, but I am not always as careful as I could be. If there was anything at all, please do let me know. I can grow by learning from my mistakes.

I will be a guest in someone else's home during the upcoming Yom Tov and Shabbos, and they will prepare meals for everyone in the home. Should I make my own eruv tavshilin, or may I rely on their eruv tavshilin?

The rule is that if someone does not prepare an eruv tavshilin, then others may not cook on Yom Tov for his Shabbos meal. However, those who are expected to eat their meals at another person's table are automatically included in the host's eruv tavshilin.

There are those who are strict and create their own eruv tavshilin, particularly if they will be lighting Shabbos candles in their own space. However, because the obligation is uncertain, they do not recite a berachah.

(Biur Halachah Orach Chaim 527:19 mi, Piskei Teshuvos 527:17)

כתיבה וחתימה טובה,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment