Monday, August 18, 2008

May I have my lawnmower back? part 3

Hi,

If a person lends out an item to someone who specifies the task for which he wants it, then he may claim the item back immediately upon the completion of that task.

Therefore: If Bob says to Jim, "Please lend me your lawnmower so that I can cut the grass today," Jim is within his rights to claim the lawnmower back after today - and if Bob continues to use it after today, Jim can claim restitution for any damage to the mower.

On the other hand, if Bob says, "Please lend me your lawnmower so that I can cut the grass," without specifying a location or timeframe, then Bob may use it as long as he likes. [Some authorities do suggest that Bob's ability to use the mower would be limited to that grass-mowing season, and not to the following year.]

(Code of Jewish Law Choshen Mishpat 341:7)

Have a great day,
Mordechai

No comments:

Post a Comment